First, I would like to thank Elizabeth Hinds for the inspiration behind this post. Her 40 before 40 was amazing and wonderful, and if I could figure out how to link to her page, I’d show you. Alas, I am technologically impaired. I can do what I can do, and that’s about it (but it’s on my list!)…
In any case, it occured to me that I am officially 30-something.
I suppose that I’ve been 30-something for the last few years, but something about crossing over the 35 mark makes it seem more real. So, I’ve come up with the 40 things I’d like to do before I turn the big 4-0.
1. Get out of debt (this is a big one, and may only be doable before 40 if I publish a few books or we inherit some money from a mysterious, long-lost aunt, but a girl can dream).
2. Take a fabulous vacation. I’d say Prague and Budapest, followed by a jaunt through Croatia and maybe a stop off on Mykonos, but I think that number one is completely unattainable if we go that route, so I’ll settle for Hawaii.
3. Hike to the summit of a nearby mountain.
4. Take the kids camping.
5. Go fishing.
6. Learn to love myself–scars, saggy everything and all.
7. Get a really fabulous haircut.
8. Change my hair color.
9. Go camping at Mt. Ranier. Hike up as far as reason and normal people would go (not going to do ice climbing or repelling. I mean, hiking. That’s it).
10. Get into shape (other than amorphous blob). Like with actual muscles.
11. Lose 20 more pounds. And then I’m done. Everything else is gravy.
12. Go on a “girls only” trip, even if only for a weekend. Not a work trip, but an actual trip. Spas, massage, girl bonding. I’ve neglected my girls and I miss them.
13. Finish a half marathon. Don’t care if I have to walk it, but I want to finish one.
14. In that same vein, get well. I’m sick of being sick and tired. Find a doctor who will actually believe me when I say I’m not well and not tell me “You don’t look sick” and that I need to “Go enjoy my life” when I’m wrapped around the toilet three days a week. Because barfing and enjoyment are somewhat mutually exclusive in my world.
15. Buy pants not in a fat girl store and not in the fat girl section of a major department store (I’m actually fairly close on this one).
16. Start saving for college for the kids. Should’ve done this years ago, but better late than never, right?
17. Get the kids in swimming lessons. Keep going.
18. Figure out a way to make Chewey behave more… consistently.
19. Calm the f*ck down.
20. Take up yoga.
22. Finish my series (both of them).
23. Find an agent.
24. Find an editor.
25. Get published… OR still be trying. But keep doing something.
26. Learn to accept my mother as she is, and not how I wish she were.
27. Tell M I love him more often. Daily would be good.
28. Tell the kids I love them every day, even when they’re being… imperfect children.
29. Figure out how to program a darn Dynavox.
30. Go someplace new once a year. Even if it’s close by.
31. Learn to get out of my comfort zone. And know that I’ll be OK outside of my box.
32. Get more technologically savvy (kinda goes along with 31).
33. Don’t allow people to put me in a box. I’m more complicated than that.
34. Go to New York and see a show on Broadway.
35. Visit with my friends more often.
36. Redecorate the computer room. Some nice tropical theme would be nice.
37. Paint the boy’s room.
38. Paint the living room.
39. Get the floors finally finished downstairs. Floors are done. Baseboards are not (Yes, I’m giving myself four years to finish a project that should, realistically, take a weekend to finish. Why do you ask?).
40. Have great sex in some fabulous place. Really, this one SHOULDN’T be last.