The last time I did a “Random Musing Sunday,” I talked about serial killers wearing my skin as a prom dress.
Not this time. Today’s general musings are the things I’ve learned over the course of the last week.
The weekend, we had Thanksgiving in the United States. A day that is typically reserved for family and friends, and a day when we give thanks for all that we have. So while this is rather belated, I thought I’d list the top six things I was thankful for this weekend.
1. Friends. We went over to a friend’s house this weekend, and the kids played together while the adults chatted and cooked. It was fun and the kids enjoyed themselves. To top it off, there was no drama. My friend even said she was glad that we were coming over, because she didn’t have to worry about cleaning her house (probably because my house is messier. I don’t try to hide the fact that my house is a bit chaotic. But yeah, if I’m coming over, don’t worry about cleaning up. I don’t care).
2. Going out to the middle of nowhere to cut down a Christmas tree is fun, and a great way to spend the morning of Black Friday. Lots of exercise and fresh air, and the kids slept the whole way back. It was awesome.
3. I am thankful I didn’t participate in Black Friday. Yes, the deals are fantastic. But I’m not going to get up at 4:30 in the morning to go shopping. There is nothing on the face of this earth I need that badly (except a great book contract. I’d get up at 4:30 for one of those. Unfortunately, I don’t think they can be bought. As much as I would like to go shopping at HarperCollins or Kensington Publishing for a contract, something tells me that’s not how it works.)
4. I am thankful for the husband and the kids. They are sweet and funny, and it was fun spending the last four days with them. They are not number four on this list. They are the light of my life and the reason my heart beats. They are the reason I get up in the morning (and not just because Chewy likes to get up at 4:00am), and they are the last things I think about before I go to sleep.
5. And finally, I am thankful for the little things, things that might not always look like blessings. I am thankful for pants in husky sizes. I am thankful for shoes that light up, cute boots, and, weirdly, vegan cookies. I am thankful for just barely missing out finaing in the last contest I entered. I am thankful that I sold my first book, and that it comes out December 14.
6. Last, I am thankful for the weird, attention-deficit muse. I learned this weekend that I am her bitch, and I may as well do what she tells me. She might lead me away from where I thought I should go, but I should know by now that when she takes me for a ride in a direction I’ve never been, it’s going to be fun!